Master of Planning
Applications for the Master of Planning program are accepted between September 1 and January 15. All applicants admitted to the MPlan program start in the fall term. Decisions from the selection committee will be provided by the end of March. The application process is competitive, and unfortunately not all qualified applicants meeting the requirements will be admitted.
To apply for the MPlan program, please complete the two-step process. We recommend completing the online application form as early as possible to provide referees ample time to complete their online reference. The application materials (described below) are due by the deadline.
Two-step application process:
- Complete an online application form: Submit your biographical, education, and referee information. Referees will receive an automated email (with a link and instructions to complete the online reference) once your application form is submitted. You'll also be prompted to pay your application fee during this process.
- Upload application materials to your online UCalgary Student Centre via MyUCalgary: You'll receive an email with instructions on accessing your Student Centre. This is where you can check your application status.
Four-year undergraduate degree, ideally with experience in design, the humanities, social sciences, arts, engineering, biological and/or physical sciences – including, wherever possible, studio, laboratory and collaborative learning experiences.
A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 105.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7.5.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 59, or higher (Academic version).
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL) score of 70 with no section less than 70.
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) score of A- in each course.
- On a temporary basis, the University of Calgary will accept both the Duolingo English Test and the TOEFL IBT Home Edition specifically for admission to graduate programs with start dates through Summer 2024.
- The minimum Duolingo test score required is 135.
- The minimum TOEFL IBT Home Edition score required is 105.
Once you've submitted your Online Application Form, you can send in official transcripts, pay your application fee, and submit your Application Package (containing your digital portfolio, statement of interest, and resume) to your MyUCalgary Student Centre.
Once in the online application form, scroll down in the program list to Environmental Design, then select the Master of Planning degree.
Remember to click 'Save & Continue' often to ensure your application is saved.
Provide one official transcript (and degree certificates from those institutions that do not indicate the awarding of degrees on the transcript) from all post-secondary institutions attended, regardless of the number of courses taken or the amount of time spent there. Transcripts and degree certificates issued in a language other than English must be accompanied by certified, word-for-word English translations.
To be considered official, all academic records must be sent directly to the University of Calgary from the institution and received in envelopes that have been sealed and endorsed by the issuing institution. If you have transcripts from multiple institutions, you may bundle the sealed and signed envelopes (unopened) in one package. Students and graduates from the University of Calgary do not have to submit official transcripts. If you attended university in another country, review international admissions requirements.
Physical or electronic copies of your official transcripts can be submitted:
A) Send physical official transcripts to the following address:
Faculty of Graduate Studies, ES 1010
University of Calgary
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, AB, Canada, T2N 1N4
B) If your post-secondary institution has the capacity to email official transcripts, they should be sent directly to the Faculty of Graduate Studies at email@example.com. These must be emailed by the school, transcripts emailed by the applicant will not be accepted.
The non-refundable application fee is CDN $125 for Canadian citizens and permanent residents, and CDN $145 for international students attending on a Study Permit.
Provide three referees, with names and contact information: both phone and email, in your online application. The deadline for references is one week after the application deadline - January 22.
In a single PDF file, please assemble the package in the following order:
- Title page with full name
- Table of Contents
- Resume (Two page maximum): A summary of your experiences in education, work, travel, volunteering, and other relevant areas.
- Statement of Interest (Two page maximum): Let us know what motivates you through stories, experiences and examples of places and spaces that have challenged and inspired you. Include responses to these questions: Why is design important to society? What about our program drew you to apply with us? How do you think a design education here will influence your future? What do you hope your contributions to our program will be?
- Digital Portfolio (25 page maximum): This is your chance to make a great impression! The admissions committee is looking for evidence of creative ability and/or potential. Graphic organization of the portfolio, including typography and layout, are also considered. Include creative work in any field or medium, along with short descriptions. Attend “how to” tips session and portfolio review →
Please name the file: "Lastname_Firstname_ MPlan_2023.pdf". The package should not exceed 30 MB (resolution is for screen viewing, not print) and the page size should be around 8.5" x 11".
At least one example of academic or professional productivity such as a written essay, published paper, thesis, design project, consulting report. The examples of writing should be submitted in digital form (one portable document .PDF file), uploaded by the applicant to their Student Centre, upon submission of their online application. If there is more than on example in the pdf document, please include a table of contents at the beginning.
Sample MPlan Application Portfolios
Sign up for SAPL Future Students newsletter
Receive information about programs, portfolio and application requirements, financial aid, important dates and deadlines, upcoming webinars and events.
Thanks! You'll get a confirmation email shortly.
Collection of personal information
Your personal information is collected under the authority of section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and is required for updating your email subscription preferences. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please visit our Access to Information page.