Admissions; Graduate Program FAQs

Applying to the program: Do I need to upload supporting documents with my online application?Supporting documents are not uploaded to the online application form. The form is only for contact and degree information, and for program questions. This is also where the contact info of your referees is entered. It’s important to submit the online application form well before the application deadline, because once the form is submitted the system sends an automatic email with instructions necessary for your referees to complete their online reference.

Once the online form has been submitted, you will receive an automatic email from Grad Studies. This email contains your UCID number, a reminder to pay the application fee, and instructions on how to upload supporting documents via the myUofC portal in your Student Centre.

The deadline for all supporting documents to be uploaded is January 15 for the MArch, MPlan and MLA programs, and February 1 for the MEDes, PhD and DDes programs.

I can't find the Master of Architecture in the Program List in the online application.
You must first click on "Environmental Design", and then you will find the Master of Architecture in the next screen.

References: I’ve been out of school for a while. Can I use more than one professional reference?Yes, but it’s ideal to have at least one, preferably two academic references. If you have taken any courses since your bachelor’s degree was conferred, those instructors can give references as well, depending on the nature of the course. 

Architecture Portfolios: Does my portfolio have to include architecture-related work?
Only if you have an architecture background. We want you to demonstrate creativity and at least basic design skills or awareness. You can include design work, professional work, research, artwork, etc. 

CV/Résumé: It says a CV is optional. I just finished my undergrad and haven’t really worked. Should I still submit one?
If you have work or volunteer experience, are a musician or high-calibre athlete, these experiences can demonstrate your life experience and time-management skills. It’s highly recommended to submit one.

Statement of interest (MPlan and MLA): How long should it be?
The statement (general essay format) should be no more than two pages. There are no spacing or formatting rules, as long as it’s legible. We want to hear about your interests and why you want to pursue a professional Master's degree. Your statement of interest should focus on why you wish to study planning or landscape architecture at the University of Calgary. You could refer to favourite designers, buildings, books, places and/or mentors. 

Your statement is an opportunity to provide information not found elsewhere in your application and is a complement to your portfolio. Accordingly, the statement should be written in your voice. Aim to highlight something that might make you stand out in comparison to other applicants – something that makes you different or interesting. We do not provide examples of statements to prospective applicants. 

Transcripts: I have international transcripts, and it’s difficult to obtain a new set from my university. Do I have to submit them now? 
You can scan your copy of your transcripts (and English translation if applicable) and upload them as your “unofficial transcripts.” If you are offered admission, you will be required to have an official hard copy of your transcript sent directly from your university by mid-summer to confirm your place in the program.

I completed my bachelor’s degree at the University of Calgary. Do I still need to submit an official transcript?
No, University of Calgary alumni or students do not need to submit an official transcript. Email with your UCID once your degree has been conferred and the system will be updated.