Master of Architecture (MArch)
Applications for the Master of Architecture program are accepted between September 1 and January 15. All applicants admitted to the MArch program start in the fall term. Decisions from the selection committee will be provided by the end of March. The application process is competitive, and unfortunately not all qualified applicants meeting the requirements will be admitted.
How to determine which MArch program to apply to:
- Three-Year Program: Open to applicants from any undergraduate discipline. The program begins with a Foundation Year to provide students with knowledge and skill they will need to continue with the MArch professional degree.
- Two-Year Program: Open to applicants with a University of Calgary Minor in Architectural Studies or an undergraduate architecture degree accredited by the CACB or NAAB.
Two-step application process:
- Complete an online application form: Submit your biographical, education, and referee information. Referees will receive an automated email (with a link and instructions to complete the online reference) once your application form is submitted. You'll also be prompted to pay your application fee during this process.
- Upload application materials to your online UCalgary Student Centre via MyUCalgary: You'll receive an email with instructions on accessing your Student Centre. This is where you can check your application status.
Four-year undergraduate degree, ideally with experience in design, the humanities, social sciences, arts, engineering, biological and/or physical sciences – including, wherever possible, studio, laboratory and collaborative learning experiences.
A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 105.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7.5.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 59, or higher (Academic version).
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL) score of 70 with no section less than 70.
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) score of A- in each course.
- On a temporary basis, the University of Calgary will accept both the Duolingo English Test and the TOEFL IBT Home Edition specifically for admission to graduate programs with start dates through Summer 2024.
- The minimum Duolingo test score required is 135.
- The minimum TOEFL IBT Home Edition score required is 105.
Once in the online application form, scroll down in the program list to Environmental Design, then select the Master of Architecture degree.
Remember to click 'Save & Continue' often to ensure your application is saved.
Provide one official transcript (and degree certificates from those institutions that do not indicate the awarding of degrees on the transcript) from all post-secondary institutions attended, regardless of the number of courses taken or the amount of time spent there. Transcripts and degree certificates issued in a language other than English must be accompanied by certified, word-for-word English translations.
To be considered official, all academic records must be sent directly to the University of Calgary from the institution and received in envelopes that have been sealed and endorsed by the issuing institution. If you have transcripts from multiple institutions, you may bundle the sealed and signed envelopes (unopened) in one package. Students and graduates from the University of Calgary do not have to submit official transcripts. If you attended university in another country, review international admissions requirements.
Physical or electronic copies of your official transcripts can be submitted:
A) Send physical official transcripts to the following address:
Faculty of Graduate Studies, ES 1010
University of Calgary
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, AB, Canada, T2N 1N4
B) If your post-secondary institution has the capacity to email official transcripts, they should be sent directly to the Faculty of Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org. These must be emailed by the school, transcripts emailed by the applicant will not be accepted.
The non-refundable application fee is CDN $125 for Canadian citizens and permanent residents, and CDN $145 for international students attending on a Study Permit.
Provide three references, with names and contact information: both phone and email, in your online application. Ideally two should be academic, but three professional references are acceptable if you have been out of school for several years. The deadline for references is one week after the application deadline - January 22.
In a single PDF file, please include your portfolio, CV/resume and architectural image paragraph. It is recommended to include a cover page (include your full name) and a table of contents for clarity. The file naming format should follow: "Lastname_Firstname_ MArch_2022.pdf". The package should not exceed 30 MB (resolution is for screen viewing, not print) and the page size should be around 8.5" x 11".
A) Digital Portfolio (25 pages maximum): This is your chance to make a great impression! The admissions committee is looking for evidence of creative ability and/or potential. Graphic organization of the portfolio, including typography and layout, are also considered. Include creative work in any field or medium, along with short descriptions. Attend “how to” tips session and portfolio review →
B) Resume (Two page maximum): A summary of your experiences in education, work, travel, volunteering, and other relevant areas.
C) Architectural Image Paragraph (One page maximum; 500 words): Provide an image or photograph that holds architectural significance and write a paragraph explaining why you chose it and how it's relevant.
If you hold an undergraduate degree from an accredited North American architecture program and are applying to the two-year MArch, you must complete and submit this form with your application. Email your course outlines (a separate pdf document for each course you list in the form) with your UCID number to email@example.com by February 15. If the files are large please email using a link to a file-sharing site.
UCalgary applicants with the Minor in Architectural Studies are not required to do this. ARST Minor and Foundation Year/three-year program applicants can email firstname.lastname@example.org to request this form requirement be waived from their application - be sure to include your UCID in the email.
Sample MArch Application Portfolios
Sign up for SAPL Future Students newsletter
Receive information about programs, portfolio and application requirements, financial aid, important dates and deadlines, upcoming webinars and events.
Thanks! You'll get a confirmation email shortly.
Collection of personal information
Your personal information is collected under the authority of section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and is required for updating your email subscription preferences. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact the Office of Advancement at email@example.com