Scholarships + Awards
Dean's Advisory Council Entrance Scholarship
New students applying for a Master’s program can apply for the School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape Dean’s Advisory Council Entrance Scholarship.
To apply, email your application and statement in one PDF with filename “last name_first name SAPL Dean’s Advisory Council”, to email@example.com.
Email SAPL's Scholarship, Research and International Administrator.
Masters Programs Entrance Scholarships - no application required
Applicants are automatically considered for the following entrance scholarships. Successful candidates will be notified in the offer of admission letter.
Master of Architecture Entrance Scholarships
- Approximately ten (10) School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape MArch Entrance Scholarships ranging in approximate value from $2,000-$10,000. Both Canadian and International students are eligible.
- Approximately one (1) Alberta Graduate Student Scholarship valued at $11,000. Only Canadian students are eligible.
- Every three years, One (1) Chancellor Cuthbertson Environmental Design Graduate Entrance Scholarship (next one in 2020) valued at $10,000. Both Canadian and International students are eligible.
- One (1) Murray W Waterman Architectural Entrance Scholarship with variable value. Both Canadian and International students are eligible.
Master of Planning Entrance Scholarships
- Approximately five (5) to seven (7) School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape MPlan Entrance Scholarships ranging in value from $1,500–$10,000. Both Canadian and International students are eligible.
- One (1) Alberta Graduate Student Scholarship valued at $11,000
- One (1) Brown & Associates Planning Group Entrance Scholarship valued at $4,000, or two (2) valued at $2,000 each.
- Every three years, One (1) Chancellor Cuthbertson Environmental Design Graduate Entrance Scholarship (next one in 2021) valued at $10,000. Both Canadian and International students are eligible.
Master of Landscape Architecture Entrance Scholarships
- Approximately five (5) to seven (7) School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape MLA Entrance Scholarships ranging in value from $1,500-$10,000. Both Canadian and International students are eligible.
- One (1) Alberta Graduate Student Scholarship valued at $11,000
- Every three years, One (1) Chancellor Cuthbertson Environmental Design Graduate Entrance Scholarship (next one in 2022) valued at $10,000. Both Canadian and International students are eligible.
- One (1) Browning Design Inc. Entrance Scholarship in Landscape Architecture valued at $5,000
- One (1) McElhanney Consulting Entrance Scholarship in Landscape Architecture valued at $2,500
Master of Environmental Design Entrance Scholarships
- Up to three (3) SAPL scholarships, partially funded by the Province, to Canadian students ranging in value from $4000-$10,000. These scholarships provide funding for the first year in the degree only.
- One (1) $10,000 SAPL MEDes Entrance Scholarship to an International Student.
MEDes additional support - application required
In addition to the graduate entrance scholarships above, other funding sources are also available to MEDes students:
- Canada Graduate Scholarships: Canadians and/or permanent residents are eligible. Submit applications directly through the research portal. The Research Portal opens September 1 and closes December 1. All students who apply to CGSM will automatically be considered for FGS Queen Elizabeth II Scholarships (no separate application). http://grad.ucalgary.ca/awards/opportunities/tricouncil#cgsm
The Graduate Awards Competition (GAC) is university wide, and highly competitive. If successful, scholarship funding is released in the fall term of the year the application is made. Explore competition opportunities on the Graduate Studies website.
If you are completing your degree requirements before the fall term of the year of application, you are not eligible.
If you plan to apply, improve your chances for putting together a successful application by attending this workshop: “Writing at the Graduate Level: Strategies for Writing Graduate Scholarships and other Applications @TFDL”. Search for upcoming workshop sessions on My GradSkills website.
Application forms are available on November 1 at your Student Centre. Navigate to the Financial Aid section of the home screen, and click "Apply for Graduate Funding".
Application deadline for SAPL students is Friday, January 24th, 2020. Save your application as "GAC_last name_first name" and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Referee deadline is Monday, January 27, 2020. Referees should email email@example.com with their submissions.
- MEDES Thesis Writing Fellowship: Each year one MEDes student will receive the MEDes Thesis Writing Fellowship valued at $10,000. This award enables an exceptional MEDes student to focus on completing their thesis. Terms of Reference | Application. Apply by May 1.
- Research Expenses Award: If you are at the stage of thesis research and have associated expenses, you can apply for the SAPL Research Expenses Award. Terms of Reference | Application. Applications are accepted twice yearly, April 15 and October 15.
- Conference and Travel Award: If you are travelling to present your work in person at a conference or other scholarly event you can apply for the SAPL Conference and Event Travel Award. Terms of Reference | Application. Applications are accepted twice yearly, April 15 and October 15.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies also offers a travel award to present work or research at a conference. This is available to both Canadian and International students.
PhD Entrance Scholarships
Effective September 2019, Doctoral Funding for new full-time PhD students in Years I-IV of this program is $18,000 annually, however international students will receive $22,000 for pre-candidacy years within this timeframe. This includes funds from all sources including (but not restricted to) internal and external scholarships, employment income from within the faculty (for example teaching and research assistant-ships), and stipends paid from a supervisor’s research grant.
- Vanier Canada Scholarships: These were created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by supporting those who demonstrate a high standard of scholarly achievement and exemplary leadership. Citizenship is unrestricted. Students interested in applying must first submit a preliminary assessment form (PAF) due August 19 to the Faculty of Graduate Studies Scholarship Office. Visit the Vanier page on the Graduate Studies website for detailed information.
- Tri-Council Scholarships: PhD applicants who are Canadians or Permanent Residents can apply for a Tri-Council Scholarship. More information about Tri-Council Scholarships can be found on the Grad Studies website.
NSERC applications are due October 15 and are submitted directly to NSERC.
SSHRC applications are due November 4 and are submitted directly to SSHRC.
- FGS Queen Elizabeth II Scholarship: Applicants to Try-Council Scholarships are automatically considered for a FGS Queen Elizabeth II Scholarship. Application is not necessary,
- Doctoral Recruitment Scholarships and the Graduate Awards Entrance Competition: The GAC Entrance is is a university wide competition. GAC Entrance applications are due before the SAPL admissions application is due. If you have applied or intend to apply to our PhD program and have a first class average, we encourage you to fill in the online application found in your student centre. Visit the GAC page for information and guidelines.
Application deadline to submit to the faculty is Friday, January 10, 2020. Referee deadline is Monday, January 13, 2020
Application form is available online on November 1st of each year, click the link Apply for Graduate Funding in the Financial Aid section of your home screen.
Note: Applications will be first vetted by the SAPL Awards Committee. On average, we are only allowed to forward one incoming PhD student’s application for the Doctoral Recruitment Scholarships competition.
Ready to apply?
Let's get started! You'll learn about what you need to apply to the programs, and how to send that information in. Applications are due January 15 for most programs.
Tuition and Fees
Learn about how general, supplementary and tuition fees are calculated.
Chat with us
A number of open houses, portfolio sessions, webinars and tours are available to help you learn more about the school and programs. Professors and admissions administrators can help answer your questions.