Important Dates and Deadlines

Fall 2023 Request Deadlines

  • Course overload: August 28
  • Prerequisite waiver: August 21
  • Time conflict: August 28
  • Third attempt: August 21

Winter 2024 Request Deadlines

  • Course overload: January 2
  • Prerequisite waiver: January 2
  • Time conflict: January 2
  • Third attempt: January 2

Standard SAPL Deadlines

SAPL’s deadlines per semester are based on each year’s Academic Schedule, as determined by the University of Calgary.  The student request deadlines you see noted on the top of this page are based on the following, reoccurring pattern: 

Fall Semester

  • Course overload: first day of the Start of Term 

  • Prerequisite waiver: the Monday before the Start of Term 

  • Time conflict: first day of the Start of Term 

  • Third attempt: the Monday before the Start of Term 

Winter Semester

  • Course overload: first day of the Start of Term 

  • Prerequisite waiver: first day of the Start of Term 

  • Time conflict: first day of the Start of Term 

  • Third attempt: first day of the Start of Term 

Key Academic Processes

Academic Misconduct refers to student behavior which compromises proper assessment of a student’s academic activities. For information on the Student Academic Misconduct Policy and Procedures please refer to:

Each student’s academic performance is assessed annually after the end of the Winter term. Please see the Academic Calendar for more information on the academic review process and the resulting Student Standings.

Current UCalgary students can apply for the Bachelor of Design in City Innovation (BDCI) program through the Change of Program (CoP) application via their Student Centre.

  • A general description about this process can be found on the Change of Program page.
  • The School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape accepts CoP applications for the Fall term only.
  • The deadline to apply is February 1 of each application cycle.

Students in the BDCI program must also submit a CoP application to pursue the Architecture or Landscape Architecture Concentration. Please see below for more information. 

BDCI students interested in pursuing professional graduate degrees in architecture and landscape architecture at UCalgary can apply for admission into either the Architecture or Landscape Architecture Concentration in their second (or later) year.

To apply, submit a Change of Program application indicating either the Architecture or Landscape Architecture Concentration. These Concentrations are only eligible to students already in the BDCI program, and usually in the second year of the program. Eligible applications must meet the Concentration admission requirements for further consideration. Entrance into the Concentrations are on a competitive basis and meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.

We encourage students to enroll in classes as soon as the registration period starts to take advantage of course reserve caps and avoid missing out on classes that fill up fast. Learn more on how to register and under "Video Resources" on the BDCI Degree Planning page.

Course Overload: If you register late, your class may already be full. Requests for a course overload are only considered for those who would experience significant delays in their current degree program. If you are eligible for an overload, please submit a request by the noted deadline.

Course Withdrawal: If you wish to drop a course (completed through the Student Centre) after the semester's drop deadline, it is considered a course withdrawal.

Details coming soon!

The School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape does not permit the Flexible Grade Option (CG Grade) for any course offered by the School. Additional details can be found on the Flexible Grade Option page.

It is recommended that students check their degree progression regularly to ensure that they are meeting all program requirements to graduate successfully. The following are various resources that can help with reviewing your degree progression and graduation requirements:

  • Request a degree audit/graduation check (link coming soon!)

The University of Calgary's regulations on Leaves of Absence outlines the allowable time off a degree program. 

Undergraduate students may only take a leave of absence (i.e., not registered in any UCalgary courses during this time) for up to 12 months. This means that a student taking a leave of absence must be enrolled in a UCalgary course latest in the 13th month. If the student does not have Faculty/School approval for a leave beyond 12 months, the student is discontinued from their program and must reapply for admission.

Are you planning on taking a leave of absence? Regardless of the period, please notify the School

Students who wish to take courses at another postsecondary institution while enrolled at UCalgary must first obtain an approved Letter of Permission.

As per SAPL's regulations, to be considered for a Letter of Permission, BDCI students must:

  • Be on good academic standing (i.e., not on academic probation or enrolled in the Academic Turnaround Program)
  • Have completed at least 12 units of UCalgary courses

All prerequisites for courses offered by the School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape must be met with a minimum grade of "C-." Minimum grades in prerequisite courses are required to ensure that students have the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in more advanced courses. In exceptional cases, if students can demonstrate that they have equivalent knowledge to the prerequisite(s) listed, they may seek consent to enroll with a request for a prerequisite waiver.

In addition to demonstrating equivalent knowledge, students seeking prerequisite waivers must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Be in good academic standing (i.e., not on probation or in the Academic Turnaround Program), and
  • Must have completed a minimum of 18 units of study at the University of Calgary

Coming soon!

During course registration, a student may encounter a time conflict where a component of two different courses are offered at overlapping times. It is at the discretion of each Faculty/School to approve/deny time conflict requests.

Eligibility requirements for a time conflict approval:

  1. The student will need to take both classes for degree progression/graduation.
  2. There are no other alternatives to the two courses in question.
  3. The time conflict is no more than a 15-minute overlap (except studio/visualization courses, which are ineligible for time conflict approvals).

If conditions 1, 2, and 3 are met, the instructors from both courses must agree to make accommodations for midterm/final exam deferrals, should the major course assessments have a time conflict later in the semester.

SAPL Process:

  1. BDCI students meet with the Undergraduate Program Specialist to discuss the time conflict. 
  2. If the student is eligible for a time conflict approval, they will be provided with a Time Conflict Form to fill out.
    • It is the student’s responsibility obtain instructor approval for each required course.
    • It is at the discretion of the instructor to sign the student’s form.
    • If the student has obtained consent from both instructors, the form can then be returned to SAPL for processing.
  3. SAPL will work with Enrolment Services to enroll the student in the appropriate courses upon receipt of the Time Conflict Form.

Coming soon!

Students creating a design drawing with the support of a robot
Student sitting, listening to a lecture