March 30, 2021
Students' Union approves 19 projects to receive Quality Money funding in 2021-2022
The University of Calgary Students’ Union (SU) is proud to approve funding for 19 on-campus projects that will enrich undergraduate student life. These projects will be implemented in the 2021-22 academic year.
Past SU Quality Money projects have included health and wellness supports, scholarships, diversity programs, study space renovations, and supports for work-integrated learning opportunities. This year’s crop of projects is similar but with a particular focus on equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives. They include:
- creation of four scholarships that focus on serving marginalized communities
- expansion of the African Studies program with more course offerings for students
- renewal of the SU’s Sustainability Fund, which provides grants for projects that aim to make the university more sustainable
- establishment of a fund for anti-racism training for student clubs
- renovations of study spaces in Social Sciences and Earth Sciences
- creation of a new gender-inclusive washroom in Mac Hall
- programs that will reduce textbook costs for students through free, online educational resources
- establishment of a COVID-19 relief fund for students
- distributing free period products in Mac Hall washrooms
“I’m very excited about the wide range of projects the SU has chosen to fund this year,” says SU President Frank Finley. “They reflect the evolving needs and concerns of undergrad students. Further, they are crucial given the recent cuts to provincial post-secondary funding and the challenges arising from COVID-19.”
Founded in 2004, the Quality Money program is a unique partnership with the UCalgary Board of Governors, through which the SU receives a portion of students’ tuition to reinvest in student-directed projects. The SU receives applications in November and a student committee spends several months choosing grant recipients each year. To date, more than 250 projects have been funded. A full list of past SU Quality Money projects along with information for future applicants can be found online.