Master of Environmental Design (MEDes)
Applications for the Master of Environmental Design program are accepted between September 1 and February 1. Students can follow along in their UCalgary Student Centre to see if any documentation is missing. Decision from the selection committee will be provided by end of April. The application process is competitive, and unfortunately not all qualified applicants meeting the requirements may be admitted. Supervisory capacity also factors into the success of an application. Refer to the University of Calgary Calendar and the Faculty of Graduate Studies Calendar for further information on admissions.
A professional design degree from an accredited school.
A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 105.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7.5.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 59, or higher (Academic version).
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL) score of 70 with no section less than 70.
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) score of A- in each course.
The application is a two-step process. Submit your biographical information, degree information and referee information through the online application form. You'll also be prompted to pay your application fee during this process.
Once you've submitted the form you'll receive an email with instructions on where to upload supporting documents (transcripts, portfolio, resume, architectural image paragraph).
Provide one official transcript from all post-secondary institutions attended, including the University of Calgary. Transcripts can be sent directly to SAPL from the institution, or you can bundle and send together. All envelopes must be sealed and signed.
If you attended university in another country, review international admissions requirements.
Deliver official transcripts to:
Admissions: School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape
University of Calgary
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, AB, Canada, T2N 1N4
If you have an art/design background, submit a PDF portfolio, with the following specifications:
- 8.5" x 11" page size, maximum 25 pages
- First and last name on cover page
- Indicate your specific role on group projects
- Filename: Lastname_Firstname_MEDes_2021portfolio.pdf
- Maximum file size 30 MB
At least one example of academic or professional productivity such as a written essay, published paper, thesis, design project, consulting report. The examples of writing should be submitted in digital form (one portable document .PDF file), uploaded by the applicant to their Student Centre, upon submission of their online application. If there is more than on example in the pdf document, please include a table of contents at the beginning.
Provide three referees, with names and contact information, both phone and email, in your online application. At least two should be academic. Once your online form has been submitted, referees will be provided a link via email to complete a reference.
- Statement of Research Interest. A clear, concise and substantive statement of interest (1,000 to 1,500 words), which informs the Admissions Committee of the applicant’s reasons for pursuing the MEDes degree. Include educational, professional and personal background alignment with environmental design; your research within an interdisciplinary context; personal/professional goals and how MEDes furthers this "vision". Maximum two (2) pages.
- C.V. / Resume
- Funding. Please provide a two-year funding plan that demonstrates that financial resources are available for the entire program of study. Funding sources can include scholarship and student award funding to supplement.
The non-refundable application fee is CDN $125 for Canadian citizens and permanent residents, and CDN $145 for international students attending on a Study Permit.
An applicant's research interests must align of a full-time faculty member's research at SAPL. Applicants should consider contacting faculty members who may share similar research interests to discuss. Applicants are not required to identify a supervisor at the time of application.
Tuition and Fees
Learn about how general, supplementary and tuition fees are calculated.
Scholarships and Awards
Explore how to fund your education.
Chat with us
Open houses, portfolio sessions, webinars and tours are offered to help you learn more about the school and programs.
Sign up for SAPL Future Students newsletter
Receive information about programs, portfolio and application requirements, financial aid, important dates and deadlines, upcoming webinars and events.
Thanks! You'll get a confirmation email shortly.
Collection of personal information
Your personal information is collected under the authority of section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and is required for updating your email subscription preferences. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact the Office of Advancement at firstname.lastname@example.org