Workshops + Facilities FAQs
Workshop Service Request Form
Make a workshop request
- Fill in the Workshop Service Request Form.
- Submit completed form to email@example.com
- Submit your work order(s) by Friday to have it articulated the week following.
- Once parts are completed, Shop staff will notify students and schedule a time for pick up.
- Students should be prepared to pay for the materials during pick up.
- To pick up and pay, please go to the laser room doorway (PF 1102). The POS system is no longer in the front office.
To keep everyone safe and healthy for Fall Term, SAPL has made the difficult decision to not provide student access to the plotter room. Most course instructors have restructured their courses as to avoid printing. If you do need to print, the faculty has made arrangements with some printers to offer discounted student printing:
Remote Desktop SAPL Computer Lab
Due to distancing requirements, the computer lab is not available to students this term. To remotely access the computer lab:
- Launch the FortiNet VPN client and connect to the UofC General VPN using their University credentials
- Launch the Remote Desktop application and enter the computer name they wish to connect to
- Login to the remote computer with their University credentials
Unfortunately, you cannot schedule or reserve a computer or know in advance if a computer is already in use. If a computer is already in use, a pop-up message will appear. Please try another computer.
For additional support, please phone IT at 403-220-5555 or chat live https://ucalgary.service-now.com/it.
Why a Workshop Service Request Form this term?
Due to the requirements around social distancing, students are not allowed to enter the workshop this term, and potentially the winter term, to create, build, or use the facilities under any circumstances.
How will the shop operate this term?
- Production will be based on a scheduled process determined by the course requirements/deliverables in each studio, working in relation to the other studios, so staff can alternate weeks according to particular studios requirements. Please adhere to the processes outlined to help all students receive the deliverables they need from the shop.
- Shop staff will not be building models but articulating the parts needed for you to build your models either in your home or designated workspace area so please allow for the additional time to meet you deadlines.
- This protocol is intended to keep workshop staff as safe as possible and to operate continuously throughout the term without any disruptions from illness. We have two full time technicians, one part-time technician and two student workshop proctors assisting with student deliverables over the school year.
Thank you for working with us to facilitate a successful term.
Supplies + Vendors
PLASTICS AND CASTING SUPPLIES
Laird Plastics 403-250-9298
Industrial Plastics and Paint 403-252-8368
Smooth-On Plastics (casting supplies)
SOLID WOOD AND SHEET GOODS
PJ White Hardwoods 403-243-4747
Windsor Plywood 403-202-3132
Mountain View Building 403-242-0404
Timber Town 403-288-5323
GENERAL HARDWARE / SUPPLIES
Hillhurst Hardware 403-283-3333
Lee Valley Tools 403-253-2066
Ecco Supply 403-295-4234
Metal Super Market 403-720-2267
Ryerson 1 800-661-8554
Russel Metals Inc. 403-279-6600
Reliable Tube Ltd. 403-236-7800
PM Hobbycraft 403-291-2733
Model Land 403-249-1661
Action Hobby 403-236-5098
3D PRINTING MATERIAL
Print Your Mind 3D 587-226-2645
3D Printing Canada
3D PRINTING SERVICES/ MAKER SPACES
Print Your Mind 3D 587-226-2645
Fuse 33 Makerspace 587-818-6253
TFDL – U of C
University of Calgary Maker Multiplex- Schulich School of Engineering
Protospace (Makerspace) 587-774-5672
Calgary 3D Printing
Busy Bee Tools (403) 250-1986
Canadian Wood Worker (403) 255-8743
KMS Tools (403) 457-3537
Princess Auto (403) 250-1133
Tools for Model-Making
SAPL recommends that students have tools for model making. You can find all of these tools at local stores, for possibly better pricing; some Amazon links have been provided to help you get started!
Model Making Ruler - stainless double-sided ruler set and/or 3 Pack 12"/30CM Big Scale & Small Scale Aluminum Metric
Small Combination Square
Carbon Paper for transferring drawings
How will international students/remote students make their models without access to the workshop facilities on campus?
Students are encouraged to seek out workshop facilities near them, but instructors will consider students' access to facilities and adjust model making requirements accordingly.
Will we be paying for the services that the shop is providing? Materials for 3D printing and/or laser cutting? Will the shop be doing cutting of other materials upon request?
We will ensure that students who do not have the ability to access the workshop are not responsible for fees related to workshop use. Nathan Tremblay will offer a session during Orientation for students on Workshop use and will be able to answer additional questions at that time.