Program Recommended Awards (Donor Awards)
Award values of Program Recommended Awards (PRAs) range widely. Search the Graduate Studies database for information about PRAs, values, and eligibility.
Things to keep in mind:
- Reminders about award opportunities are sent to your UCalgary email.
- Deadline for applications is May 1.
- Only returning students should apply for PRAs; awards are granted in the Fall Term.
Note: There is no application process for merit-based awards.
- UCalgary's International Office offers an International Study Travel Grant. Amounts vary, and you can receive funding from this grant once during your studies. If you are considering a study abroad program, including block weeks and field studies outside of Canada, consider applying.
- Murray W. Waterman Study Abroad Award (MArch students): If you register for a Study Abroad program, and have a minimum GPA of 3.0, you will automatically be nominated for this award. The value ranges from $1500 to $2000.
Conference and Event Travel
- Faculty of Graduate Studies offers international students a travel award to present at a conference. Visit FGS Travel Award – International Students.
- SAPL Conference and Event Travel Award: If you are travelling to present your work at a conference or other academic event, consider applying. Applications are accepted twice a year on April 15 and October 15. Terms of Reference | Application
Graduate Awards Competition (GAC)
The Graduate Awards Competition (GAC) is university-wide and highly competitive. If successful, scholarship funding is released in the Fall Term of the application year. Only new or returning students should apply. Visit Graduate Studies for competition opportunities.
Planning to apply?
- Attend this workshop to improve your chances for putting together a successful application: “Writing at the Graduate Level: Strategies for Writing Graduate Scholarships and other Applications @TFDL”. Search for upcoming dates on My GradSkills.
- Download an application form. Find the forms as of November 1 by visiting your Student Centre, navigate to the Financial Aid section, and "Apply for Graduate Funding".
Deadlines for different faculties vary. For SAPL students the application is due Friday, January 21, 2022; and referee deadline is Monday, January 24, 2022.
All book awards, continuing awards and convocation awards are based on merit. No applications are required.
- Andrei Nicolai Book Award (MLA/MPlan): One (1) presented yearly to a planning or landscape architecture student who has excelled in the study of sustainable urban design.
- Peter Jacobs Book Prize (MLA): One (1) presented yearly to a student who has excelled in the study of landscape architecture, cultural landscapers, history/theory of landscape architecture, and/or landscape ecology.
SAPL Continuing Awards
- MArch: ranging in value from $1,500 to $5,000.
- MPlan: ranging in value from $1,500 to $5,000.
- MLA: ranging in value from $1,500 to $5,000.
- Royal Architectural Institute of Canada Medal (MArch): One (1) awarded to the top graduating Master of Architecture student.
- APPI Danny Makale Silver Medallion (MPlan): One (1) awarded to the top graduating Master of Planning student.
MEDes - additional scholarships and awards
- MEDES Thesis Writing Fellowship: This award enables an exceptional MEDes student to focus on completing their thesis. One MEDes student annually will be awarded this $10,000 fellowing. Terms of Reference | Application. Application deadline May 1.
- Research Expenses Award: If you are at the stage of thesis research and have associated expenses, consider applying. Terms of Reference | Application. Applications are accepted twice yearly, April 15 and October 15.
Ready to Apply for Awards?
The application form to apply for School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape student awards is below.
We can direct you to the answers for your scholarship and funding questions.
The Vanier Canada Scholarships were created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by supporting those who demonstrate a high standard of scholarly achievement and exemplary leadership. Citizenship is unrestricted.
Students interested in applying must first submit a preliminary assessment form (PAF) due August 19 to the Faculty of Graduate Studies Scholarship Office. Please click the link above for detailed information.
Current PhD students who are Canadians or Permanent Residents can apply to Tri-Council Scholarships. Please note the new harmonization of the CGS Doctoral competitions: all applications are submitted via the competition portal for institutional review.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Graduate Awards Compeitition
The GAC is a university-wide competition. Scholarships are awarded in the Fall; only new or returning students should apply. Application deadline to SAPL January 21, 2022 | Referee deadline to SAPL January 24, 2022.
Application form is available as of November 1 in your Student Centre. In the Financial Aid section click on "Apply for Graduate Funding".
If you plan to apply, we recommend attending the workshop: "Writing at the Graduate Level: Strategies for Developing Research Proposals". The workshop is generally offered in October. Visit My Grad Skills to register.
- Only one PhD application per faculty can be forwarded for consideration to the Izaak Walton Killam and Open Doctoral categories; applications that move forward in the process are selected by SAPL.
- All eligible applications for the Alberta Innovates, as well as Special Awards and Bursaries, will be forwarded.
SAPL Dissertation Writing Fellowship
Each year, one SAPL PhD student will receive the $15,000 SAPL Dissertation Writing Fellowship. This award enables an exceptional PhD student to focus on completing their dissertation. Terms of Reference | Application. Application deadline April 15.
Research Expenses Award
Conference and Event Travel Award
The Faculty of Graduate Studies also offers a travel award to present work or research at a conference. This is available to International students.
Program Recommended Awards
A few awards open to SAPL programs require an application. Visit the Graduate Studies award database for PRA information. In March/April, you'll receive an email in your UCalgary inbox outlining awards that require application. Application deadline is May 1.
If you are submitting:
- Bundle all of your documents into one PDF
- Name the file "PRA_last name_first name"
- Submit to email@example.com
The top graduating PhD in Environmental Design student will be nominated for the Governor General's Gold Medal. This is an annual university-wide competition. Terms of Reference